Emma Merchant

Emma Merchant let us know she's a strong little girl when she came into the world on September 14, 2005. Emma's friends and family can use this blog to share news about her, and to share their support for mom and dad and big brother Lucas.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

A week in the life of Emma Mae

An upbeat report from Diane today, on Emma's one-week birthday. Emma continues to remain stable, and her 3-day brain ultrasound came out clear, making all the docs do a happy dance. She's tolerating her feedings well (Di pumps and they freeze the milk) and they're increasing the frequency with which she gets them. She even poops, which I understand is a sign that things are going well with "the plumbing." (You know we're good friends when we can easily have elimination-based conversations.) Di says Emma opens her eyes partway, and John reports that she sleeps with her arm overhead, just like Di and Lucas do. Now we just look forward to Emma maintaining stability and gaining weight.

Speaking of big brother Lucas, he's too little to know exactly what's going on, but he knows something's up. He gets upset when he sees mom cry, but fortunately he's in familiar surroundings at Di's parents' house and he's surrounded by people he knows and who love him.

Diane, the other patient in this story, is also hanging in there. She's still having her blood checked regularly (because of her clotting issue) and is on painkillers, though she's needing fewer pills as time goes on. It sounds like other parts of her recovery are just part of what comes with any c-section.

Emma was named for Diane's mom's mother, who died when Jean was a little girl. Mae is a name that Di and John just like, but there also happen to be some Maes in Diane's extended family. Diane says the name just seems to suit their little girl.

And now for a housekeeping note. Diane and I have agreed that I'll post what I know on this site, and she'll also post as she's able. If other folks want to be able to post things, just let me know and I can arrange it. Being so far away means that sometimes I'll be out of the loop, alas.