Emma Merchant

Emma Merchant let us know she's a strong little girl when she came into the world on September 14, 2005. Emma's friends and family can use this blog to share news about her, and to share their support for mom and dad and big brother Lucas.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Yes, she's as adorable in person


On a recent visit back to Iowa I finally got to hold Emma Mae! YAY! Unfortunately, Lucas was playing with his grandparents that day so I didn't get to see him. I also owe my husband an apology because I didn't give him a chance to hold her. Sorry, Ted.

It's clear that Emma has already become an integral part of the family. She fits right in with the rest of the Merchant crew... even Xavi and Guthrie. What amazed me the most was how observant she is. Those blue eyes follow your every movement and you get the strange feeling that she knows exactly what you're doing. John and Diane observed that she's had more time than most babies to get used to watching the world--it shows.

It was also good to see how little the oxygen tubing restricts Emma's life. It's not as fragile as you might think--Di and John have that cannula stuck in there nice and secure. After a few seconds, I didn't even notice them, though of course underlying it was a gratitude that such support is available for babies like Emma.