She's a'movin on up... to the Bay 2... in a deluxe isolette in the NICUUUUUU



(My apologies to the original words to "The Jeffersons" theme song.)
Great news and adorable photos from mama Di today.
From Saturday:
Emma is doing great! She has really taken to the CPAP well. They have already turned her down 2 cm since she went on it on Wednesday. Normally they don't turn down the CPAP that quickly. They usually go down one cm in a week. I am really not all that clear on how these measurements work all I know is that is good news and that's what interests us most!
It was so wonderful to see her mouth for the first time w/o the tape. And, oh, to hear her cry was like music to our ears. I cried with her. It was very emotional. I felt like I had given birth to her again that day. Best thing ever. I think she is really starting to look a lot like Lucas did when he was a newborn. When she gets closer to 5 lbs (Lucas' birthweight) it will be interesting to compare their characteristics.
We have been able to hold her much easier now. John kangarooed (translation: skin-to-skin holding, with Emma on John's chest) her for the first time on Thursday. She is second on the list to move out of Bay 1 into Bay 2/3 (translation: she's due to move out of the part of the NICU reserved for the sickest babies--it's a great promotion). She was first on the list but they want to wait to see how well she is doing on CPAP. It is quite possible she could move out of there this weekend. Today is my due date for Emma. So, to celebrate we are going to go buy her new crib so it is ready and waiting for our little sweetheart when she finally comes home. Good news all around!
And then today:
The other big news is that she moved to Bay 2 on Saturday! Even on her due date! They have her in an isolette. It looks like an incubator. This is supposed to help her grow. She couldn't be in one when she was on the ventilator. They only use these for babies on CPAP. I look at it kind of like a green house. Help her grow! Or it's kind of like anew condo!

<< Home